Following an intense workout, it’s normal to feel a little bit stiff and sore. Sometimes, your muscles may feel so sore that you’re reluctant to head back to the gym, at least until you recover. But what if there was a simple, safe, and holistic way to expedite your muscle recovery? And what if the solution involved taking CBD?
The truth is, CBD has long been vaunted for its effectiveness aiding muscle recovery, helping athletes and fitness buffs get back on their feet more quickly while reducing the risk of muscular injury. But what does the science say? And what should you know about using CBD to assist with muscle recovery?
Muscle Recovery, Explained
First and foremost, why do your muscles feel so sore after a strenuous workout, anyway?
The answer is actually pretty straightforward. Intense physical activity causes microscopic damage to your muscle fibers. The muscles then become inflamed, which prompts the body’s built-in repair capabilities. It’s this healing response that leads to feelings of stiffness and soreness.
Here’s the part where we get to CBD, and its potential as a post-workout recovery aid.
It’s important to clarify that a lot of the research concerning CBD is still fairly basic, and there remains a need for ongoing study to confirm some of CBD’s health benefits. Based on nascent research and anecdotal evidence, however, there is reason to believe that CBD works as an anti-inflammatory. (Take note of one study from 2018, which found that CBD can relieve pain and improve mobility in patients suffering from multiple sclerosis. ) These same anti-inflammatory effects may help to reduce inflammation, and to lessen muscle soreness in the process.
Using CBD to Aid Muscle Recovery
If you’re an athlete and you’re interested in trying CBD to help ease muscle pain, there are a few options to consider.
The first thing you’ll need to determine is what kind of CBD delivery system you prefer. Muscle rubs and roll-ons are specifically designed to ease stiffness and soreness, and while many of them are designed with arthritic conditions in mind, they may also work well for athletes.
Alternatively, you may want to try an edible format, like a gummy or simply a tincture. Here, the most important thing is to be careful about your dosing. We generally recommend starting with a lower dose and working your way up as needed. Also be sure to talk with your doctor or trainer before you use CBD for muscle recovery.
Other Ways to Expedite Muscle Recovery
CBD is just one of several natural, holistic ways to improve your muscle recovery. Some other options include:
- First and foremost, be sure you stretch before you exercise. All too many exercisers skip over the warm-down and cool-down stretches, but doing so can significantly increase your risk of muscle damage.
- Make sure you get plenty of protein before or immediately after your workout, especially if it involves strength training. Either a protein-rich meal or a protein shake will work.
- Stay well-hydrated. Nothing supports healthy muscle function and robust recovery like proper hydration.
- Consider a salt bath. Soaking in warm water and Epsom salts can be an excellent way to soothe sore, aching muscles. You might even try adding a CBD bath bomb to the mix!
- You might also consider getting a massage, or at the very least using a foam roller to help your muscles relax.
- Talk with your trainer about developing an “active recovery” plan. Something as simple as slow pedaling on a stationary bike following an intense workout can really help minimize muscle soreness.
Get Natural, USA-Made CBD Products from Asé Pure Naturals
Anyone who works out regularly knows just how common muscle soreness can be. There are plenty of ways to support recovery, and one option that’s well worth your consideration is CBD. At Asé Pure Naturals, we’re big believers in CBD as a natural and holistic recovery aid, and would love to connect you to gummies, roll-ons, or CBD oils that work for you.